Monday, January 30, 2012

One week down.....

Here we are, one week down, and a lifetime of learning and changing to go.  We had a great weekend, lots of gluten free adventures, some good, some OK, but fortunately, none of them were bad.  We made gluten free pancakes for the first time this weekend. They were delicious.  We tried the Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake mix.  Hit the spot. We are, admittedly, pancake/waffle snobs. My husband normally makes them from scratch with whole wheat, apples, bananas, sometimes cranberries and orange, or any other strange a delicious combination you can think of.  We were a bit scared to try just plain, gluten free pancakes, but either our expectations were really low, or they were actually quite good.  We all devoured them.  Next stop is to try to add some fruit to them, I'll let you know how that goes.  We also made our first frozen, gluten free, pizza.  It was.....OK, we all ate it, but it by no means knocked out taste buds socks off.  I am now on a mission to find a pizza, frozen or not, that we can't get enough of.  I did have a frustrating moment yesterday when we got to ice skating rink, and my almost 4 year old decided he was hungry. (This after having had lunch less than an hour before). I was pretty proud of myself as I walked to the car to get the snacks that I had packed in there a week ago for just this very scenario, only to find that my stash of Gluten Free snacks was GONE!!!! I freaked out!!! Believe me when i tell you that there was NOTHING on the menu at the snack bar that the boys could eat, or that I would allow them to eat (yes, starburst are gluten free).  Turn's out that Zane had taken my treat box inside in an effort to help keep the car clean.  I ended up having to drive 20 minutes to Jason's Deli and picked up 3 more lunches (since I knew that skating for 2 hours would make for a starving boy) and it cost me $20.  UGH! Oh well, another bump in the road.  Our final gluten free adventure was making our first loaf of bread in our new bread machine.  I made my husband do it, for 2 reasons. The first, the directions were like reading an aeronautics book in Japanese, I just stared at it in disbelief that I was supposed to understand this.  The second was, secretly, if it tastes horrible, I can somehow blame him.  I bet your all wondering how it turned out......I'll have to let you know. It finished about 10:00 last night, and we haven't cut into it yet. 

Keep checking the restaurant guide. I am adding new listings almost daily.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

So, how is Zane reacting. Is he calmer?