Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 1

I've spent the last 5 days getting ready to go gluten free.  To some people that may sound silly, i mean, a lot of households are gluten free, and they probably didn't need 5 days to prepare for it.  But as I started on this adventure I realized that for the most part, we eat pretty well. Lots of fruits and veggies, etc. But the gluten is in the details, like most breads, pastas, salad dressing, sweets, it's pretty well hidden in all the things we love to eat.  Making the change as far as taking gluten out didn't scare me, it's the need to be prepared, and on top of our meal planning at all times.  I'm not a super organized person. I am super busy at all times, and we do tend to grab a meal out once or twice a week out of shear convenience due to our busy schedules. Well guess what, that is all pretty much out.  I need to make sure to have gluten free snacks in the car, or in my purse, at all times, and enough of them to hold over my starving boys until I can get home a cook a meal. Oh boy!!!!  So for 5 days I have been reading and preparing, talking to friends that have taken this leap themselves, and finding out many, many, secrets to making this a success.  Including a few gems of information about restaurants in the area that serve gluten free items. That made my day.

So here we are at 4:00 on day 1. Breakfast was pretty normal. Scrambled eggs with, onions, red, yellow, and green peppers and a sprinkle of cheese. on the side, oranges.  For lunch I had pick Zane up from school for a Occupational Therapy Evaluation. I made him a homemade lunchable, complete with turkey, cheese, and gluten free crackers. A side of strawberry's and we were good to go.....or so I thought.  The crackers tasted like "burnt popcorn." So all he ate were a few strawberry's and some cheese. Now it's 4:00 and he and I have been battling it out for an hour and a half.  He refuses to drink his juice concoction that contains his homeopathic medicine.  So he's hungry, and tired, and hasn't had his very important medicine, and I have a huge headache and pretty much feel like the worst parent ever.  Let's hope the Hubby gets home from Jury Duty soon so I can catch a break. For dinner, I am attempting to make beef with broccoli. I have never done stir-fry before, so this should be interesting.

No comments: