Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 3

So here we are on Day 3.  So far so good, I can honestly say that it hasn't been too hard to eat gluten free.  We have made beef with broccoli (delicious), chicken nuggets (edible, but not yummy), and Mac and cheese, which turned out to taste way better than the regular shells and cheese that we are used to. We had an egg blunder this AM, but thankfully I had bought a box of gluten free cereal earlier in the week. The boys loved it (cereal is a novelty in our house)  I on the other hand thought it was pretty bad. But thankfully I did not have to eat it, as I opted for a smoothie (which the boys also had some of).

My biggest fear right now is what the weekend will bring.  That is the time that we are out of a routine, and we are so super busy that we literally forget about food until we are so hungry and tired that we end up eating out. Or worse yet, for a gluten free family, is the social functions. We seem to have a birthday party or gathering of some type almost every weekend.  This is the part I dread. Being prepared enough to bring our own food, and watchful enough to make sure the boys don't grab those delicious looking chips that are full of gluten.  This coming weekend is our first gluten free weekend, it should be interesting. We have one birthday celebration, and probably a waffle party. 

Every day I seem to learn something new. Today I have leaned 2 new things, when looking at gluten free products, look at the sugar content. Many pre-made gluten free products are loaded with sugar. My son's cereal bar that I gave him for snack at school today....17g of sugar.  Next step for us will be even more whole foods.  I can't in good conscience give my kids that much sugar.  The second thing I have learned is that there are so many substitutes for regular white or even whole wheat baking flour.  I'm up to about 12 different kinds of substitutes. Because in order to replace the consistency and texture and design of flour, you need multiple substitutes.  Today I went to make 4 different bread mixes, and despite my 12 different flour substitutes that I have, I did not have all the right combinations for any of the recipes that I looked at.  I about threw my new cookbooks in the fire out of shear frustration.  Thankfully I got yet another new cookbook today called Gluten free on a shoestring (thank you Amanda) and it appears to simplify a lot of these recipes (and best yet, cuts costs).  It's like the difference between a Martha Stewart (or Julia Child) cookbook, and Rachel Ray.  It's dummed down for those of us that aren't naturals in the kitchen. 

Below is a photo of my cupboard that holds my cooking and baking essentials. Keep in mind that this gem of a cupboard is an additional 2 feet deep to the right. And it is chaulk full of almost all of my so called essential items that my cookbooks have told me i need. Heaven help me.  There is so much crammed into this cupboard that I had to make a list of the items in it, and paste it to the outside of the door so that I know for sure whether or not to waste my time looking through all of this to find something that I may or may not have. 


2 comments:

Shirley said...

You should start a business since you are so good at shopping for healthy foods. Im too lazy to figure out all thus stuff. I would probably pay somebody like you to go shopping for me so I could make sure im gettiing healthy quality food.

sealed2mybff said...

Is that quinoa on the bottom shelf? How expensive is that? Here it's around $11 a bag. My mom was a kidney fail/diabetic, now a non-both of those transplant patient...she is a very healthy eater, and teaching me to be also. One of my favorite things is quinoa, cause it's so versatile! I've found that the flavor is mild enough that it pretty much takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with. Have you noticed?