Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Sweet Boy

2 weeks down....and what a HUGE difference we have seen in Zane.  We really started to notice a difference last Wednesday, but a few days of good behavior doesn't warrant a victory dance.  I'm not even sure that a week of it does. But, we take our blessings as they come.  This past week has been amazing. Zane was up and ready for school 15 minutes ahead of schedule 2 days last week. Considering there is usually a lot of rushing, and often times yelling, this was a big, big, deal.  Twice Zane has gotten in trouble for bad behavior, and instead of going into a 2 hour tantrum, he cried, as a normal kid would, and then got over it. Over and done with in under 10 minutes.  Let me repeat that for greater effect. We went from 2 hour meltdowns to 10 minute tears. What will I do with all this extra time? Zane has been focusing for longer on his projects and homework.  Yesterday he took it upon himself to make Valentines cards for his classmates. He cut, colored, addressed, taped, and bagged, 22 Valentines. It took him over an hour to complete his project, and the whole time he stayed at the table and focused. He completed the entire project 100% by himself.  AMAZING!!!!  He has also started to become a bit more thoughtful, maybe even affectionate.  Although I'm not sure if that's just me paying closer attention to all the good things he does, or if that's really the case, more time will tell. These are just a few glaring examples of the changes we have seen so far.  I am starting to think that it actually is the gluten free that is making the difference. I'm giving it 2 more weeks of this diet change before I give all the credit to the gluten free, but so far, it's looking like we may have found, and conquered, the major player in Zanes behavior. My challenge for this week....making heart shaped gluten free cookies for Zanes Valentines party so that he doesn't feel left out from the cookie decorating.  So glad that this fact dawned on me last night in the middle of the night, and not when I was standing in his classroom next week totally unprepared. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! -Andrea